Saturday, November 20, 2010

Bacon Cornbread dressing

My mother-in-law makes a mean cornbread bacon dressing. I’ve never actually eaten her version, since I’ve been veg since before my wife and I hooked up, but looking into my her sad puppy eyes our first Thanksgiving away from home and hearing “I miss my mom’s dressing,” I took on the challenge soon after of making a vegan version. As soon as I tasted it, I thoroughly understood her woes, and it’s been a staple at the holiday table ever since. It’s slightly sweet and slightly salty, and easily veganized: proving you don’t have to be a bacon-loving hipster to enjoy such a treat.


Doris’ Bacon Cornbread dressing

Corn Bread (Bob’s Red Mill has a vegan cornbread mix if you don't want to make from scratch)
6 slices of bread
6 slices of Lightlife brand smart bacon
1 cup chopped celery w/leaves
1 cup chopped onions
1-2 Tbs olive oil
Prepared egg replacer for 2 eggs (I use Bob’s Red Mill)
2 tablespoons snipped parsley
1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable bouillon

Prepare Corn Bread and let cool (I generally do this the day before)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Coarsely crumble enough corn bread to make 3 cups. Toast the bread slices, cut into cubes, set both aside. Chop the faux bacon strips into 1” pieces and set aside. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook celery & onion until tender and translucent but not brown.

In a mixing bowl combine prepared egg replacer, faux bacon, cooked celery & onions, snipped parsley, Herbes de Provence and salt. Add crumbled corn bread & toasted bread cubes; toss lightly till well mixed. Add enough of the vegetable bouillon to moisten and toss gently to mix.

Bake, covered, in an ungreased 1.5- quart casserole for about 30 minutes.

1 comment: