Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Portuguese Bean Soup

If you wanted to try my linguica seitan "sausage" recipe, but weren't sure what in the world to do with said "sausage," don't fear! you can make this awesome cabbage stew. It's a true "peasant stew" americanized by generations of mothers passing down to their offspring, and it was a favorite of mine when I was small during the winter months.

On a completely different, yet slightly related note, I blame Michael Scott and Ricky Gervais for my 4th grade stifled laughter over the last two days. Trust me, I know it's stupid, and immature, but I can't, for the life of me, read or type the word "sausage" without immediately thinking "that's what she said!" Even if it makes no sense whatsoever. Thanks, pop-culture, for taking over my brain. Again.


Portuguese Bean Soup

linguica seitan sausage (use half the amount from recipe)^
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
3/4 cup dried cranberry beans (or kidney beans) soaked overnight
(or a 15 oz can)
3 medium red potatoes, cubed
2 carrots, chopped
1 can (15 ounce) stewed tomatoes
1 can (15 ounce) tomato sauce (if you like a thinner stew, just halve the tomato sauce)
1/2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste

Place onion, garlic, beans and water into a Dutch oven over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Stir in potatoes, carrots, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and garlic, cover, and continue simmering for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.* Stir in cabbage and cook until the cabbage has softened, about 15 minutes. Serve with some delicious crusty homemade bread. YUM!


^ I think a premade vegan chorizo sausage would would alright in this recipe, but I haven't tried it, so I can't say for certain. If you do try it, please let me know how it turns out...

*If you are using canned beans, you can combine the first two steps, cooking the onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and water for an hour and a half. Then, simply add the canned beans when you add the cabbage.

Serves: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment