Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Linguica Sausage Seitan

Sometimes, pre-packaged "sausage" just doesn't cut it. I had a hankering to make Portuguese bean soup yesterday, a throwback to my childhood, which my mum would make a few times a winter as it kept us warm and our tummies filled (and I did! of course, there was so much trial and error throughout the process, when I finally got the consistency and taste right, I had no idea how I ended up at that particular place. Will have to make again and follow my actions more closely so I can share). Running through my memorized list of Field Roast links, I knew Italian style "sausage" wouldn't cut it, chipotle would fall flat, and there was no way apple would work. I couldn't think of a Tofurky style link that would follow through, and couldn't think where to get a chorizo style (which may have worked... we'll see...). At any rate, I ended up making my own wheat meat that was slightly smokey and slightly spicy and worked in the stew just fine.


Linguica Sausage Seitan


1 1/3 cups vital wheat gluten
1 tsp smoked paprika*
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder*
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 cup water

Broth:
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp sel de gris
1/8 tsp alderwood smoked salt*
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp braggs liquid aminos
1/2 cups red wine
5 cups water

In a mixing bowl, whisk the vital wheat gluten, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and white pepper together. Add water and knead for 5 minutes until thoroughly mixed and elastic. Divide dough into quarters and roll out your "sausages," they should be about 1/2 inch thick. I highly suspect Field Roast of packing them into their plastic casings with herbs and then cooking them. I of course, have no proof, but it's the only way I can guess on how their sausages are so damned perfect. Mine always look all sorts of homemade (a.k.a. jacked up).

In a large saucepan, combine broth ingredients and bring to boil. Add wheat gluten, turn down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour.

pre-heat oven to 350 and grease a baking sheet with vegetable oil. Slice seitan logs into 1/2" pieces and bake for 30 minutes, turning once. This simply takes some of the moisture out

*if you don't have smoked paprika, chipotle chili powder or smoked salt, you can substitute the un-smoked versions of each, and just add in 1 tsp of liquid smoke to your broth

Need a way to use the sausage? try this!

No comments:

Post a Comment