Sunday, April 24, 2011

Spring Salad with Mango and Blueberries

Yesterday was the first really beautiful day this spring in Seattle. The sun was out, the tide was low, and it hit 66 degrees. It seemed like the whole city came out in full force: dudes were walking around shirtless, small children were donning their swimming suits and splashing in the sound while wishing the Coleman Pool was open for the season, and ladies in short shorts were littering the rocky beaches. I spent the majority of the day laden with 3 cameras, traipsing around the beaches on Vashon Island and hanging out with my best friend from childhood. I even got a little bit of a sunburn on my cheeks. Go figure.

Dinner today was inspired by the glorious weather yesterday. I went outside of my comfort zone and went for the "this isn't local or seasonal by any means, but I want summer!" approach and made an huge salad on baby greens, spinach, mango and blueberries, and topped it with a ginger lemon dressing.


Spring Salad with Mango and Blueberries



5 cups baby greens and baby spinach (mixed)
1/2 cup diced fresh mango
1/4 cup blueberries

Dressing:
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
pinch of salt

Combine salad ingredients in a bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients in a bowl and pour over salad. For something extra special, top with a little smoked cheddar Sheese and freshly cracked black pepper.

And here's a picture from my day at the beach. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment