Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Nikki McClure adorns my walls

A new place doesn’t feel like home until the pictures are hung. I can continue to live out of boxes as I slowly put stuff away in their new spaces and still feel settled if I’ve got pretty stuff on the walls to look at. So last night I thought, “walls be damned, I’m not waiting to paint! I’m a gonna hang me up somethin’ purdy to look at.”

Nikki McClure has long since been one of my favorite artists. Before she started creating totally amazing art with an exacto knife, I would rock out to her song “Ominvore,” the last track on the Stars Kill Rock compilation and dream of singing in my own grrl punk band. Now, 14 years later, I get to sit in my living room (or I will be able to, as soon as I get my hammock up), look at her amazing cut paper prints that adorn my walls, and think about the somewhat circular life I lead. 


But back to the prints: I ended up picking up a tension wire from Ikea the other day (do you know expensive 6-14x18” frames are? Fuck that!) and just clipped the prints along the tension wire. It was a cheap solution and they look pretty damned good (and will look even better once I get my walls painted.) I must give props where they are due, so a major thank you to my friend Vanessa who hung her prints on twine with wooden clothespin. Also a rad solution for a small budget.

Nikki McClure’s prints speak of simplicity and compassion, sustainability and community, and have a quintessential northwest style. Plus, they’re all paper cuts- the lady’s got mad skills with an exacto knife. Each of the six I choose represent a truth that is
intrinsic to me, and serve as a reminder on how I wish to live my life. Take a look for yourself, and if you fall in love with her work, you can always grab one through buyolympia.com

 

4 comments:

  1. nice. :) i got it a few years ago and gave it to a friend. then i told Lindsey to pick one out a few weeks ago and she picked it out. cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have her baby journal. I liked it so much I bought one for Jackie and Angie

    ReplyDelete